Monday, May 2, 2011

week 13: 25th of April -1st of May


This week we were going to learn more about how to draw the skull, but we moved straight to the nose, eyes, ears, and mouth.  However, we will come back to learning how to correctly draw the skull.  Drawing the nose was really difficult for me.  The hardest part is knowing which direction to put the contour lines on the different plains of the bottom part of the nose.  Drawing the facial features is completely different from how I was taught in grade school.  Each part of the face is far more complex than a simple circle or one line.  Its also interesting on how the different angles of the face vary greatly from one person to the next.  It makes sense that the nose, eyes, mouth, and ears can be so different from person to person because you rarely see someone who closely resembles someone else.  The eyes were very interesting to draw and I liked the fact that you can easily change the direction that your model is looking without having to actually have them look in that direction.  Because the eyes are the main focus point of the face, I never really thought of the eye as being protected by other facial features such as the nose and cheek and the way the eye socket itself is sunken into the skull.  But now it makes sense that the eye is protected that much because humans and most animals greatly rely on sight to complete simple tasks.  I liked learning about the lips.  For the most part I thought that the lips were the easiest to draw, which could be because every ones lips react the same way in light.  The top lip is in shadow so you know that your contour lines will be going downward and your top lip catches the light so your contour lines project outward.  Its really interesting when you start drawing the edges of the lips because there are some parts of the mouth that are in shadow while other parts are in light, which normally when thinking of a face you would think that there wouldn’t be that many plains.

2 comments:

  1. I feel like I have never known how to draw a face until now. So much for just circle eyes I guess, there are like a billion changes in the form, and the fact that they are set back behind the bones around it was something that I had never thought about before. All of these things really can make the drawings seem more alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really excited when Amy told us we were gonna start drawing the faces, I feel like this was the real first time when I got excited in this class lol

    ReplyDelete