Saturday, April 23, 2011

week 12: 18th -24th of April


Monday we continued with drawing hands.  We pushed our understanding of the hands a bit further by having our live model hold a bowl to see how the hands react when holding an object.  The hands do tense up a bit from the weight of holding the bowl as well as the pads of the fingers.  With experience from drawing hands from last week it was easier to get the proportions correct.  I also have learned that you really have to be aware of where the thumb starts so that it ends up looking like a thumb instead of starting at the top of the hand, making it look like another finger.  One thing that I found helpful was when Amy instructed us to first lightly draw in the bowl and then place the hands around the bowl.  By drawing in the bowl it helped me to understand how the hand actually interacts with an object.  I also think that I have improved on drawing hands by illustrating several different plains on the hand in order to make the drawing three-dimensional.  When I established the plains, I took into account the light source and added in shadows on the hand.  I feel as though my hand drawing was pretty successful however, I wish I would have pushed myself more in order to complete both of the hands within our time limit in order to really show how the hands react from holding an object.  On Wednesday we instantly started on drawing the skull from a skeleton and skipped our usual introduction of the anatomy that we learn for the week.  It was a nice change to start drawing without being instructed how to do so.  I feel that it really forces you to thoroughly look at all of the elements of the skull instead of trying to focus on finding the landmarks of the skull.  I found drawing the skull very interesting because of how often you see skulls depicted in designs and how much they can vary from different artists.  I am really looking forward to learning more about the characteristics of the skull in order to correctly depict it.      

1 comment:

  1. I thought it was a great idea for the model to place their hands on an object so we could see how they form around an object. Although it was really hard for me at least to draw it I still felt like it helped me understand the hands better.

    ReplyDelete