Sunday, May 8, 2011

week 14: May 2nd-8th


It is crazy to think that life drawing one is almost over along with all the rest of my classes for this semester!  This week we have still been working on the face along with starting our final live model drawing, which is a long pose that includes all of what we have learned through out the year.  In the long final live model drawing I had trouble getting the head of the body proportionate.  It seemed that no matter how much I re-drawn the head I somehow always managed to draw it too big for the body.  This was definitely frustrating, but with using my stick of charcoal as a measuring tool I was able to finally fix it so that the entire body looks correct.  The reason that I was making the head too big was because the chest area of the body wasn’t long enough so I was making the head bigger to make up for the lost space.  At the beginning of the week we did a long drawing of the head and facial features such as the ears, eyes, nose, and mouth.  By far I find the face the hardest to draw.  I think its because the face has so many distinct characteristics and gives each person their identity.  It’s difficult to make the face close enough to the actual person that you are drawing so that they are recognizable by viewers and yourself.  Another difficulty that I have when drawing the face is knowing where exactly and how to put in the contour lines.  I know that you use them for plane changes, but when I put them on my drawing I’m not sure if the viewer would be able to tell if that was actually a plane change.  I guess I will have to keep working on it and hopefully I will be able to figure it out for our final project, which is a self portrait.

2 comments:

  1. I had a hard time with the long pose too. Again it comes down to the fact that I am just too slow at these things. By the time I was happy with the shape of my skull everyone was bored because they had already added so much detail. I still felt that it was a good experience though, because it helped me at least to figure out what the form is doing in space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you drew every plane of the face!

    ReplyDelete