Thursday, February 3, 2011

week 2: Jan 31st-Feb 6th


This week in life drawing we pushed on with gesture drawing.  Because of doing back-to-back gesture drawing I feel like I’m getting a pretty good sense of time and know when the alarm is going to go off.  For me the most difficult part of gesture drawing is when you have to foreshorten different parts of the body.  With different poses I struggle with making limbs look like they are extending into space especially when trying to complete a quick gesture.  I was surprised by how much time we were given to focus on contour lines, but once we actually started I realized how careful you have to be when making lines in order for them to be accurate and give the illusion of three dimension.  It was very helpful when we went over the various parts of the spinal column.  By learning about how the different sections of the spine curve in a convex or concave way helped me understand what to look for when drawing the human body.  Knowing that all movement comes from the core makes sense to why we start with drawing the core first.  I’m glad we covered cervical, thoracic, lumbar, sacrum, and coccyx, the four main curves of the vertebral column.  Because they are visible to the human eye, depending on the pose, it is easy to pick up on the movement of the spine and see how the rest of the body reacts.  I looked through the books that are required for our class and I can definitely see them being very useful when attaching clay muscle to our skeleton models.  I also found it useful having to take the clay off of our skeleton models from the previous class because it lets you see what the skeleton should look like when all of the clay muscles are attached.  I like having examples and I thought this was beneficial.      

No comments:

Post a Comment